Pre & Post Workout Meals
When: 2 hours to 30 minutes before a workout
What: hydrate with water, eat healthy carbs & light protein
- Carbohydrates serve as the primary source of energy during activities of higher intensity. Healthy carbohydrate food sources include fruits, vegetables and whole grains.
- Avoid saturated fats & foods super high in protein – Why? These foods digest slower, meaning it takes longer for your body to get energy from it.
- Fueling your body pre workout gives you energy for maximum performance, while fueling your body after a workout will optimize building muscle and muscle recovery.
Pre Workout Breakfast
- Oatmeal with ½ banana, almond slices, chia seeds
- Greek yogurt, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, almond slices
- Whole wheat toast with scrambled eggs on top
- Peanut butter, banana, honey + chia seeds toast
- Nuts & dried fruit
- Omelette + veggies
- Fruit smoothie
Keep in mind that the portion size of your meals need to get smaller the closer you are to working out or for a game!
Amounts & what you eat varies drastically on the person. You know your body best! Listen to what it’s trying to tell you. Try each of these pre workout meals and make note on when you felt the best during your workout and stick to that meal & timing.
Hydrate: Water, water, water
What: Your main food groups to consume after your workout are, you guessed it, carbs & protein, which will increase MPS, restore glycogen stores & enhance recovery
- Protein after a workout helps repair & build muscle and gives your body the amino acids it needs to build & repair the proteins that get broken down.
- Carbs after a workout also help aid in recovery & replenish those glycogen stores from your workout.
The Science: During your workout, your muscles use up their glycogen stores for fuel, which leaves your muscles depleted of glycogen. The protein in your muscles also gets broken down, which you’ll need to repair & regrow with the right nutrition after a workout.
Post workout breakfast
- Protein pancakes with peanut butter on top
- Eggs and chicken apple sausage
- Protein shake with peanut butter
Post workout lunch/dinner:
- Ground turkey + sweet potatoes
- Grilled chicken and roasted veggies
- Hard boiled eggs
- Grilled or baked salmon
- Grilled chicken with roasted veggies
- Tuna sandwich
- Protein shake
Let us know if you have any questions!